21 June 2012

One Man, Two Guvnors - a postscript

I was having a nap this afternoon (still feeling somewhat grotty) when there was a ring on the doorbell and a delivery man from Amazon on the mat.  Perplexed, I took the proferred parcel and thought "This must be a mistake, I haven't ordered anything from them lately".

I open the box to find a rather expensive book from my Amazon wish list along with the following message:

Dear Russell

I do hope you enjoy this small gift.  I am the father of James Corden and guilty of giving you a little grief over your review of his NT play last year.  Enjoy, and thanks for your forbearance. 

Malcolm Corden.

Well, if you are reading this, Mr. Corden Snr., thank you very much.  Your kind gift is much appreciated, and can be said to be a rare example of something which rendered me completely speechless for a number of minutes.   I do, however, stand by my review, as I have always done, despite the shedloads of abuse received (not all of which was suitable for consumption by a family audience and therefore not published on this blog) for expressing my opinions and which continues to come in some 12  months or more after publishing my review.  However, it is nice to know that someone feels sufficiently guilty about their attack to take the time and effort to send a gift.  Should anyone else who felt it necessary to be vicious feel similarly contrite, then the link to my Amazon Wish List can be found further down the page in the far right hand margin.  Until then, I salute the generosity of Mr. Corden Snr., and accept his apology.  Your son has many fans, Mr. C; it is however such a shame that they express their feelings with such vitriol and contempt for the opinions of others. 

No comments: